Equality and Diversity Commitments
We are committed to everyone being treated fairly, as equals.
To ensure we achieve this we will set ourselves challenging tasks every year and report back on how we have done.
Last Year’s Commitments
Between 1 April 2019 and 31st March 2020, we achieved the following promises: -
- Produce a new Equality & Diversity Policy and publish the accompanying commitments
- Review our Diversity pledge
- Start producing documents in a variety of formats to suit customers
- Create more accessible information for our website to make sure all our residents can better access our services
- Publish a Gender Pay Gap and set out any actions to deal with any issues that arise
- Raise the profile of our disability friendly approach to recruiting and retaining staff
- Ensure our images used on our websites and in publications are more diverse and reflective of our communities
- Support our local partners in delivering community cohesion
- Continue to fund events which celebrate diversity
The following commitments are still in progress : -
- Review how much we know about our residents so we can better tailor services to them – this work has started and it became clear that, with more than 38,000 homes, we have a major task to complete which could not be achieved within the year. There is a group-wide project team reviewing current information and establishing new ways of collecting more data so that we can confidently achieve this commitment.
- Raise awareness with staff of their opportunities to grow and develop and if they face any barriers to career progression – this is being addressed through our talent management plan, due to be launched in the summer of 2020.
- Survey our contractors to ensure they meet our diversity standards – we are trialling a supplier verification programme linked to Investors in Diversity, due to be completed in Autumn 2020, with consideration for full roll out in 2021 if it is successful.
- Continue to promote to residents with impairments, the availability of equipment available to ease communications eg magnifiers, yellow overlays, audio documents etc.
- Review the profile of residents to ensure accuracy of information, to enable a better, more tailored service
- Analyse customer feedback by personal characteristics, so we can be sure everyone we serve is treated the same, regardless of their background
- Consider setting up a Resident Disability Group
- Ensure we promote our job roles to all sections of the communities by working with trusted agencies and networks
- Become a Disability Confident employer, Level 2